Thursday, October 14, 2010

Heirloom Foods: More Pale Ale on the Way

Jared's ten gallon pot full of Pale Ale.

I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that Jared started a ten gallon batch of his amazing Pale Ale over the weekend.  The bad news is that it won't be ready for another month.

I went over to Jared's house this past Saturday to watch him make this beer for the second time.  I knew he was making a double-batch, but I was still impressed by the size of the pot required to brew ten gallons of what I hear is an amazing West Coast-style Pale Ale.

Those of you who regularly read this site know that I was extremely disappointed to miss getting a taste of Jared's last batch of Pale Ale, the first beer I watched him make.  He said it went fast, but that it was so popular he would make it again.  And he finally has.  But I still have to wait a month to try it.

In the meantime, Jared offered me two more delicious beers I'd never had before.  The first was made in the style of Rogue Ale's "Shakespeare Stout".  Jared named his version "Andrew" in honor of his brother-in-law, who's a Shakespearian scholar.  Delicious.

"Andrew" and "Hoppapils", Oct. 9, 2010.
The second beer on tap was a Pilsner that Jared has been contemplating naming "Hoppapils" because it's a very hoppy Pilsner.  He says this one is "going to get better", but it tasted pretty good to me already.  I guess that's the fun of beer brewing.  You can make something pretty good and enjoy sharing it with friends, but the true beer master is always thinking of creative ways to make the next batch even better.

Being around Jared and the world of beer brewing has been quite an education and I'm looking forward to continuing to try new beers with someone who has the words to describe what we're drinking.  It's giving me an amazing insight into the world of beer, which has a richer history than I ever realized.  It's also giving me a good excuse to make richer friendships with people who've lived around the corner for years.  And this is even better.  

I've been learning new things about Jared as well.  Like the fact that he's also an artist.  The proof is in the beer and the drawing.
Jared's drawing of his garden with "Bounty Basket" on table, Summer 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment